Saturday, January 15, 2011

On The Docket For January

Coming off the holiday rush January is usually a slow month for gaming, but in 2011 we can expect some pretty big releases to start the new year off right.


Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2
 The sequel to the 2008 hit horror shooter from EA has already been garnering great early reviews. I enjoy playing games that provide a nice scare or tense atmosphere, but I haven't found much outside of the titles developed by Monolith. As it were, I would be excited to add this game to my collection, but the first Dead Space still remains on my back log for completion. In due time I shall return to this great series.

Dead Space 2 is releasing January 25, 2011.

Little Big Planet 2
Little Big Planet 2
In a year that will see almost all of Sony's first party exclusive titles hit Little Big Planet 2 is being pushed out the door first. I haven't followed much about this game since I did not have a PS3 at the time of the original game's release, but the few times I come across I get the vibe of bigger and better. I'm all for that with a game that is so community driven as Little Big Planet. I always enjoy seeing what gamers can bring to life when given the same creation tools as developers.

Little Big Planet 2 is releasing January 18, 2011.

DC Universe Online
 
WarBlade of Xbox_Roughneck @ Operation Sports
One of the earliest things I remember about the 360 when it was being released were announcements of bring MMO games to the console in a big way (previously only had FFXI on PS2). We were supposed to see a port of FFXI, Huxley, Age of Conan, and Marvel Universe. Huxley and Age of Conan never made it, and Microsoft pulled the plug on Marvel Universe which Cryptic re-purposed into Champions Online which also never made a debut on 360.

The news of Marvel Universe had folks excited about the thought of playing along side some of their favorite comic book heroes (and not just the well done creations of City of Heroes/Villains). It's cancellation was certainly a sad event, but gamers had hope with the Sony exclusive DC Universe Online. DC Universe Online is a very twitched based game designed with console gamer in mind, and has actually released. Comic book lovers rejoice!

DC Universe Online released January 11, 2011.

Mass Effect 2
Grunt
It was only a matter of time before the 360 lost its exclusivity with the Mass Effect series after EA purchased Rpg giant Bioware. PS3 users rejoice as they get a port of Mass Effect 2 running on the engine for Mass Effect 3, and they also get the bonus of several Mass Effect 2 DLC being included on disc for free. Enjoy.

Mass Effect 2 (PS3) releases January 18, 2011.

And for me? I have no game purchases to make after spending like crazy thanks to Black Friday (PS3 & games), and the Steam Massive Christmas Sale. Instead I have turned my focus to finishing off Dragon Age: Origins and the Awakening sequel.


Dragon Age: Origins
This is the game I truly feel bad about not finishing. I was super excited for this game. I had just built a new PC a few months early, and went out and bought this day one. Then I was crushed under the weight of the difficulty (though folks like this consider it any easy game), or better phrased as my lack of understanding how to take advantage of everything the combat system provides.

Over a year later I'm back, and with the release of Dragon Age II on the horizon I will learn. I will persevere. I will conquer Origins, and await the arrival of Dragon Age II from a mountain high as I descend upon it like the Dwarven Berserkers of Orzimmar.

Leave a comment with the post or send me an e-mail at curseofspin@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment