Thursday, January 6, 2011

Welcome to the Curse Of Spin!

I would like to welcome everybody to the inaugural post for the Curse Of Spin blog! It has been a long time coming (aka I was lazy). This blog has a two-fold purpose for me. The first reason why this blog is so important is that it allows me to espouse my love for video gaming by a combination of posting blog updates here, linking to news articles via the Curse Of Spin twitter account, and networking with my fellow online gaming associates who have struck out and made their own websites.

The second reason behind this blog is the real reason this is even up: Practice. Back in May of 2010 I graduated from college with a degree in mass communications with an emphasis in public relations. Since then I have failed to find employment in the field that I spent four years of schooling on. So it dawns on me that I need to be a bit of a self-starter, and do something on my own before my skills erode completely. I chose this combination of blog and twitter for a few reasons.

  1. The biggest thing is that it is free for the time being. I am employed, but I need something that doesn't require a huge capital investment. This may change if future plans come to fruition (i.e. new PC + HD capture equipment to provide video content).
  2. The most obvious is that it allows me to practice my writing skills. I only spent a semester writing for the school paper, and I know I have a ways to go in mastering AP Style and editing.
  3. Social media is a big part of society nowadays, and it would be of invaluable experience to be able to show an employer a firm grasp of social networking skills.

So bear with me as I grow into a public relations/social media professional. Leave feedback here on the blog or e-mail me at curseofspin@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment